I organised my essay by using the XMind mind mapping tool. It is a very handy tool to clarify your thinking process. By visualising your mental model, you can easily ensure that you did not forget anything. Furthermore, your mental process will make greater sense.
The topic of my essay is Narcissism and Social Media Marketing.With the evolution of the internet social networks, many new phenomenons appeared. The perfect example of these new trends is narcissism in the social networks.
Firstly, my essay will aim to describe the problem of narcissism in general and will introduce two points of view of narcissism: the positive and the harmful narcissism. Secondly, the essay will target the problem of narcissism and social networks. It will introduce some examples of how the social networks support narcissism. Finally, it will focus on how companies deal with narcissism when they create their social networking campaign. Further, it will also describe the trends in marketing today and how narcissistic users and customers can be useful for the company. In conclusion, it will summarise all the aspects and decide if the social networking sites support narcissism and if we can use the narcissism to promote a company.
To develop my essay, I will use the following books and journal articles:
- Buffardi, L., & Campbell, W. (2008). Narcissism and Social Networking Web Sites. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 34(10), 1303-1314. doi: 10. 1177/0146167208320061
- Darity, W. (Ed.). (2008). International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences: Narcissism (Vol. 5). p 369 – 370. Retrieved from http://go.galegroup.com.libraryproxy.griffith.edu.au/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CCX3045301677&v=2.1&u=griffith&it=r&p=GVRL&sw=w
- Enteen, V. (n.d.). Key trends in marketing and international business. Retrieved from http://vickienteen.wix.com/course-resources#!__efap
- Horakova, M. (2012). The impact of Internet social network on public opinion and their meaning for the marketing communication (Bachelor Thesis, University of International and Public Relations, Prague,The Czech Republic).
- Ireland, J. (2011, Feb 05). Net narcissism. Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.libraryproxy.griffith.edu.au/docview/849289462?accountid=14543
- Smith, C. (2013, Sep 2). How Many People Use the Top Social Media, Apps & Services? Direct Marketing Ramblings. Retrieved from http://expandedramblings.com/index.php/resource-how-many-people-use-the-top-social-media/
- Social narcissism. (2010, Sep 12). The Sunday Mail. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.libraryproxy.griffith.edu.au/docview/750201784?accountid=14543
- Weigel, J. (2013, June 11). University of Michigan study links social media and narcissism. Chicago Tribune. Retrieved from http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-06-11/features/chi-university-michigan-study-links-social-media-narcissism_1_narcissism-social-media-college-students
- Whitbourne, S. (2012, Jan 24). The Healthy Side of Narcissism. Psychology Today. Retrieved from http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201201/the-healthy-side-narcissism